Thursday, May 5, 2011

We're a nut-free household - in some ways!


Some people may think we're a little nutty, but when it comes to actual nuts, we have to be careful. My youngest is allergic to peanuts and tree nuts. I'm still not sure how that happened. Science seems to swing from one end of the spectrum to the other on consuming nuts during pregnancy but the mode of thinking when I was pregnant with my children was to avoid peanuts/nuts during pregnancy to limit the chance of allergies. Well, I didn't eat any with either pregnancy and I have one with nut allergies and one without - and no family history of nut allergies - so I'm not sure if science really knows the answer on that one. In any case, I CRAVED peanut butter and jelly sandwiches while I was pregnant and needed to find a substitution that tasted like peanuts. I tried soy nut butter and even with so much jelly on it that the bread turned soggy and purple, it was not for me. Desperate, I went to a larger grocery store in search of an alternative. I found pea butter. Yes, it is actually from golden brown peas. While it's probably not the healthiest food out there since it's mixed with icing sugar, it does taste like a mild peanut butter and has the same consistency. It is produced in a nut and peanut-free facility. It is also gluten free, soy-free, and sodium-free. But best of all it allows us to have PB&J, or other treats like candy cakes, in a way that isn't going to be life-threatening to my child. So if you are looking for a safe alternative to peanut or tree nut butter try No Nuts Peabutter!

No comments:

Post a Comment